Saturday, November 22, 2008

Random Conversations with the Parentals


I LOVE my parents to eternity! Yesterday, I went to pick them up from the airport after a three day trip to the Big Island where Mom was a representative for BYUH Admissions at the various Career Fairs on the island. Dad, of course, went along as her "personal assistant/chauffer." Hahaha. Well, on the way home, I was entertained by their constant bickering, and "frustration" with each other. I guess that's what happens after being married for 36 years. Lol!

Anyhoo, we started talking about all the weddings that were planned for next month, considering the temple will be closing for the next 18 months or so. This is how it went....

ME: Spencer Hafoka's getting married next month.

MOM: Oh wow! Good for him!

DAD: What about 'Inoke?

ME: Uhhh...'Inoke is a Funaki...not a Hafoka.

DAD: I know dat! I just asking...when HE getting married?

ME: Hahaha. I don't know.

DAD: And what about his braddah?

MOM: Yeah...the one that graduated with Jason?

DAD: Yeah...when he getting married? He still dating da Moea'i girl?

ME: I don't know.

DAD: You better tell him hurry up before he become one mermaid!

ME (thinking to myself): Mermaid?! Is that a new slang? Am I behind on the new lingo?

MOM: MERMAID?! Hahahahahaha! You mean OLD Maid! Hahahahahahaha. And you don't call a guy an OLD maid!

ME/MOM: BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
(constant laughter for the next five minutes)

DAD: Well, whateva! You know what I mean. Yeah. Go...laugh! I'm glad I can make you two laugh!

Oh man! This was probably the highlight of my day!!!! I laughed so hard. My dad always seems to have his moments...but I think this one is probably Top Ten status. Gotta love it!

4 comments:

Line said...

LOL! MERMAID?! Hahahahahaha

"Love or Perish" - W. H. Auden said...

LOL!!!!!!!! TOO LATE, KOLO'S ALREADY A MERMAID LIKE A LOT OF MINE AND JASON'S CLASSMATES!

Karessie said...

BAHAHAHAHAHA. i LOVE YOUR CONVERSATIONS!!!

Ashleigh said...

have i ever told you the buzzard or breadwinner story?
ps: is bubs coming to hawaii next month?