Saturday, July 19, 2008

Ohana means FAMILY


I already know what you're thinking...two words...OLD SCHOOL! Yes, this picture was taken approximately 15 years ago. Besides the fact that I look 10, wait...I really was 10. Anyhoo..besides that, our clothes and One's hair totally dates this picture. Lol.

Sadly, this is one of the few family pictures that we have with ALL of us. I just wanted to take some time to talk about my family. I LOVE THEM TO ETERNITY. Yesterday was one of those days where I couldn't help but think of my brother Jason. He passed away 12 years ago! It seems so long ago. I can't help but think how life would be different if he were still here with us. Would he still be playing football? Who would he be married to? What would his kids look like? All these thoughts seemed to race through my mind yesterday, and I just broke down and cried. I haven't thought about my brother in a while. I was only 13 when he died, so we didn't develop that same relationship that I have with my other siblings. You know, that mature relationship that develops when you get older. That's why I am grateful that I will have that opportunity after this life.

I like to think that our family is pretty tight. We may complain and vent about each other, some more than others, but we know that we can always depend on each other. And boy do we vent. I think the one that vents the most is, surprisingly, my DAD! Now that he's retired, he spends so much time with each of us, and I swear he always has something to say about us. But I just sit there, listen and laugh a little inside because no matter what he says about my brothers and sisters, he'll do anything they ask him.

Last night my brother Aaron and his family were stranded at the Wal Mart in Mililani because his car wouldn't start. So, One and I canceled are plans to go to the movies with some of our cousins, and were on our way to pick them up. While we were driving over, we were complaining about how we missed out on our movie. But as we pulled up and I saw how excited my niece and nephew were to see us, my heart dropped. How selfish was I to think that they had inconvenienced me because I had to cancel my plans for them?!

That's the thing with family. You can kick and scream when they do things you don't agree with, or when they ask you to do things you don't want to do, but in the end you still love them. And I do. I love my family.

3 comments:

NeenaLove said...

Aww... that's rough... thinking about Jason. He was/is such a crack-up. I can't wait to see him in the next life.

We women... we have to have our cry sessions. There's no way around it. It's like a huge release to just CRY about everything that make us sad. I do it too!

Hugz,
coreen

Greg Dowden said...

I love your family too! ;) I swear we're psychic...not only do we think the same kind of things, but we write the same kind of things...LOL! It must be ESPN or something...LOL! Aren't you glad that families are forever!? I am!

Keo's said...

So true about the fam. We'd be millionaires if we got paid to complain but we'd do anything for each other. Btw, that picture is a classic with mahea & one's wave and the lovely flower dresses.