Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Oh Sooooo Crispy!

Beach days are definitely the best part about Summer in Hawai'i, and the ultimate destination for said event would have to be Waimea Bay. My niece, nephews and I decided to take advantage of my day off and the gorgeous weather to spend the day there. We took the "Beach Day" essentials:

- Tuna mix
- Bread
- Corn chips
- Cream cheese and salsa mix (thank you honey girl for introducing me to this amazing concoction)
- Water

And of course we had to pick up some toys for the kiddies. Since the kids are little fishies in the water, I HAD to buy them goggles. They're constantly opening their eyes under water, that by the end of the day they're eyes are cherry red. Those darned kids never listen. Lol. After we got the car packed and ready to go we were on our way.

The only downfall with Waimea is that you have to wait forever and a day for parking. Lucky for us, we only had to wait five minutes, thanks to the tourists who can only handle an hour of being in the sun. Lol. The kids were so excited to try out their new snorkel masks that we picked up from Foodland, that they raced across hot sand with their bags and towels. Man, do I wish I had half the energy those kids have. They straight BOOKED it across the sand, I couldn't keep up.

After we found our spot, I got their masks ready (since they didn't even want to bother with the snorkel), and off they went in the water. The boys used their mask for a good two minutes before they got tired of it squeezing their faces, or as So'i put it, "the ting is squishing my eyeballs!" Hahahaha. I swear...why do I even bother buying them these things.

We swam and swam our little hearts out. Later on, Naona built up enough courage to jump off the rock..the little one that is. We swam on over with our trusty floaty thingy...just in case Naona got tired of swimming. Nikki and Kaua Po'uha were with us, so Nikki helped Naona up the rock, while I waited in the water. It was so cute. She got up, and had the "what the heck am I doing?" look on her face. But after a few words of encouragement, and a "one...two...three" she took her first leap and SPLASH! She was so excited that she insisted on going again, and again, and again. She usually doesn't do things like that, but her love for the water is definitely a confidence booster for that little girl.

We spent a total of 5 hours at Waimea. We could have stayed longer, but we had to pick up the rest of my sisters kids. After getting all the kids showered and fed back at the home base, it was my turn to shower. As soon as I saw myself in the mirror, all that came to mind was "oh so crispy!" Yup...I was pretty much burnt all over. Lol. See what happens when you think you're hard and don't need sunblock. But it's nothing a little cocoa butter can't fix. I live for days like these, cause that redness only turns into a beautiful sun kissed brown. Thank you Waimea. Until our next visit...which will hopefully be on Friday!!!!

6 comments:

B said...

Beach? Sun? Crispy? Hmmm...the downside of living in town. It's amazing you got parking over there within 5 mins. Parking is the main reason I rarely go to Waimea. Hope you don't get smacked on the back anytime soon. : )

Lu said...

what i wouldn't give to be crispy! Sounds like you had fun and your niece is WAY braver than I am! I've still never jumped off the rock at waimea...and i don't plan on it either! ;)

Line said...

You sound like a prime candidate for skin cancer. Hahaha, jk... Such a good aunt, taking your neices and nephews to Waimea. Are you sure you didn't just do that so that you can blog about it? LOL! You know I love you!

Line said...

P.S. You can tell your friend Greg that he ruined The Dark Knight for me with his comment. (No offense, Greg, if you're reading this :))

P.P.S. I'm just being sour because that's strike two for me... Savani's friend ruined the Twilight series for me with HER comment. I only read comments for book/movie reviews on people's blogs to see how everyone liked it, but I think I'll stop because some people give TMI!

Greg Dowden said...

"Hey! Who put me outside!?" LOL! That kid is so freakin funny!

***~_Bunz_~*** said...

Hey There Burn Buddy!!! I'm missing the beach for real! I can't wait to come home though! Yay!!! Well I love reading your blogs you're such fun read =)