Monday, January 5, 2009

New Years Resolutions

Yesterday was the first Sunday in my new ward Laie 10th. It didn't really feel like I was in a "new" ward considering I know most of the people there. But, I can definitely testify of the new spirit felt there. I told myself that this year would be a year of positive change, and I can already see that happening. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Laie 11th, and will always have my roots in Hau'ula 4th, but I see myself gaining a lot from Laie 10th.

To start off the new year, Karess gave an awesome lesson on Resolutions. It is exactly what I needed to start the new year right. Her lesson was on a talk given by Joe J. Christensen about Resolutions. Here's the link. I highly reccommend you read it. I usually don't make New Year's Resolutions, but after reading this article I was inspired to base my 2009 Resolutions on the four areas discussed in this talk.

2009 Resolutions

I resolve to expand my intellectual horizons, to increase in wisdom.

Lately I've been quite the voracious reader. I think I've read a total of 9 books in a period of 3 weeks. Some were just stories, but some were really thought provoking, which helped stimulate my mind. However, I resolve to read more "good" books that will stimulate my mind, and help me to grow intellectually.

I resolve to be a truer friend and to become more socially acceptable to people of high standards.

Maintaining my integrity is important, yet something that seems to be overlooked quite often. I have a bad habit of letting things "slide" to make others feel comfortable. So this year, I want to maintain those high standards that I believe in. This includes not watching rated-R movies. This was a huge weakness for me last year. I would always give myself the excuse like, "oh...it's ok if there's violence. As long as there's no nudity then it should be fine." But how come everytime, my ears would be ringing from all the swearing in those movies. So no exception to the 'R'ule for me. It's rated-R for a reason, and I'm sticking with that. The same can be applied to any social activities I plan on attending this year.


I will be resolute in preserving and strengthening my physical health.

Obviously this is the ultimate resolution that I'm sure everyon has set forth for themselves. But I am determined to lose those unwanted pounds. I plan to do any form of aerobic activity for at least an hour a day for at five days a week. I will be struggling to get myself up at 5:30 every morning so I can go to the gym before school starts. We'll see how that works out! I figure I should try to get it done early, so I can focus on other things throughout the day. I also feel more "productive" when I wake up early. There's a deep sense of accomplishment when I do that.


I resolve to grow spiritually - I will increase in favor with God.

More specifically, I resolve to be more diligent in my scripture reading. I will do this by reading at least 3 pages a day. Thanks Allen for that recommendation. Lately I've been quite the avid reader, so I will try to put that habit to good use. I started today and I already found things that peaked my interest that I never took into consideration before. I'm excited to track my progression, and see where this spiritual growth will take me.

So, these are my four main resolutions. I hope I can keep up with them throughout the year. I'll do my best to post updates on my status. Now that I've shared mine with you, what are yours?

9 comments:

daveandsavani said...

wow ui.. congrats on making new year resolutions. since you've made them known to the public im gonna be checking up on you every now and again... =)

hine.T said...

Yes girl...I will support you as long as you keep blogging about it...cuz I'm a blogaholic...so I will check up on you! GOod luck Ui!

NeenaLove said...

totally inspiring!!

Karessie said...

omg, how come everytime i eat something i think of the word of wisdom??? HAHAHAHAH. too bad i didn't think about it as i ate all the candy i ate last night....LoL! but it's okay, cause i walk stairs a lot a my new job- itsfaster than waiting for the elevator :)

anyways, GREAT to have you in the ward Ui! It's always small after every "Transitional" period. hopefully it'll get up to the 40's again! hahaha :)

have fun with school! and good luck with your resolutions!!! :D :D

***~_Bunz_~*** said...

Inspiring sis! I've started on my goals of the year too! I'm so glad we talked yesterday day, I've got much love for you Ui =) 2009 will be an awesome year for us all!!!

Line said...

Wow, good resolutions! Sidenote: Thanks for being an avid reader and recommending books cause I just read both My Sister's Keep and A Thousand Spendid Suns and enjoyed both of them. Keep up the good work! (And join goodreads.com, I've already sent you an invite. It's like an online book club.)

Unknown said...

Welcome to 10th ward! Excited to have you in our little (but GREAT!) ward. =) I also liked that the talk focused on setting well-rounded resolutions: physical, mental, social, and spiritual. Good luck working on yours!

Ashleigh said...

i'm. so. jealous.

I LOVE the tenth ward. sob. annnyways, those are great new years resolutions. i'm gonna go write some of my own :)

xo

Unknown said...

love it! i need to make and set mine!