Sunday, December 28, 2008

Lights Out!

What are the chances that everyone (well, nearly everyone) on the island experiences a power outage all at the same time? Well, that's what happened last night. It was around 6:30 p.m. I got off work early, in hopes to make it back in time for the wedding dance for two friends that were getting married the next day. Gas was low, and instead of filling up at the Chevron gas station in Sunset, I thought it would be more convenient to fill up in Kahuku since I needed to make a deposit at the ATM at my bank. So I go through the normal routine of my daily deposit, and just as I'm waiting to get my card back, ALL THE LIGHTS GO OUT!!!

Yup, so I'm standing there in the dark in disbelief with what just happened! The freakin' power went out before my card came out of the dang machine!!! Luckily, I had my cell phone handy, and was able to cancel my card. They told me that I would be able to get my card from the branch the next day they're open, which would be Monday. Unfortunately I would be on a plane headed to Maui by then. Just my luck.

There were weddings, and not to mention it was the last day for the temple to be open so you can just imagine how crazy things were there. But luckily for them, all went well. The power came back on at around 2:30 the next day, and all went as planned. Just include this on the list of crazy natural disasters in Hawaii in '08!

One of the first things that came to mind was...

4 comments:

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much said...

oh no! your right. . .just your luck! If only you had one or two seconds to spare. Anyway, I'm glad things turned out okay in the end. It's a great example of how the power outages on the island always seems to screw things up for people. ;)

alexis said...

I couldn't believe that! So ghetto! Oh well, at least it makes for a good story. Sorry about your card, though, that really sucks.

Ashleigh said...

First thing that came to MY mind? Oh crap, we're not gonna have any food cooked for our reception! Lol. Oh and yes, it DOES make for a good story. I learned my hula by candlelight and was sealed in a dimly lit room :)

Line said...

First thing that came to my mind was... Only in Hawaii! Hahahahaha... And then I thought about my brother's wedding and how stressed out my fam would be, but like you said, all turned out well.