Saturday, July 11, 2009

Swiss Tour Day 1

Today we went to Lunzeberg. I don’t even know if I spelt it right…but it’s a little town about 20 minutes away from where we’re staying and it is the home of one of the oldest castles in Switzerland. But, before we did that, we took a tour of the high school that Dominic, the youngest child of the family we’re staying with…attends. Apparently, it’s one of the most prestigious schools in Switzerland. It was huge. They actually meet in an old monestary…or part of the monestary. They have their own garden…which for me was probably the coolest part. The flowers here are absolutely gorgeous! It seems like many people here are self sufficient. They plant a lot of their own fruits and vegetables in their backyards…and even in their schools. America needs to get on that.

The castle was pretty interesting. It kinda reminded me of Iolani Palace with everything that was on display being roped off. LOL. The only thing though is that we didn’t have to wear booties. It was cute cause they had tours available for little kids where they could dress up like medieval warriors, and they even learned how to fight with swords and bow and arrows. It was pretty cute. I couldn’t help but think that my nephews would’ve loved this place. The castle is up in a huge hill that we had to hike up to. I tell you…I’ve never hiked up so many hills in my life. Sheesh! I better be skinny by the end of this trip. LOL.

After the castle we cruised around the city of Zurich. Our trusty tour guide said that Zurich is the largest city in Switzerland. It didn’t seem that big, so it just goes to show that there are a lot of little tiny villages here. Interesting. It was such a long day. But there’s still more…how exciting!

No comments: