Thursday, May 7, 2009

School's Cool

It's been a while since I've posted anything mostly because my camera has been completely dead and I can't seem to find my charger, and I don't really like posting anything without pictures. But anyhoo...the past couple of weeks have been pretty boring anyway. LOL.

I am totally in love with the classes that I am taking this semester. Even though the classes are 2-3 hours long. The classes include Pacific Regionalism, History of Surfing in Hawaii and an EXS class online. I never realized how much I LOVE learning about the countries in the Pacific, and the different issues they have to deal with like the rising sea level (poor Tuvalu), phosphate mining (Nauru), and various native land rights issues (all of them!). I think the reason why I enjoy it so much is I am fascinated by the many similarities we all share. We've all been screwed somehow by some foreign colonial power. How annoying!

Then, with my History of Surfing in Hawaii class...I feel so connected to my heritage as a Native Hawaiian woman. I LUV LUV LUV IT!!! It is a little disturbing reading about all the ways Hawaiians were mistreated and even marginalized in the past. And seeing how that is commonly overlooked even today. It really makes me think about what I can do to work towards making positive changes for my Hawaiian community. I get all hyped up when I read about the hoale trying to make surfing a part of THEIR history. But...ummm..yeah..we'll have to leave that for another post. Did I mention that we get to go on field trips for this class too! Yup...we already hit up Malaekahana and Sunset, and then on Tuesday we're going to Waikiki!!!! Woot woot!

I wish all my classes could be like this!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

nice!! sounds super fun!! sometimes I miss school...

hine.T said...

I think when I was in school it was just called SURFING 101. LOL! But I love the spin where you actually get educated in that class! haha! It was da BOMBEST class ever...where I actually learned to surf. Yay!

alexis said...

I hate that you live by the beach and I live in the desert. Freck. Oh well, at least I can live vicariously through you. Please post pictures of the beach!

Line said...

I wish I had a class where we got to go to Waikiki. Man, only in at BYUH you can do that.

LOL @ haoles making surfing part of their history, hahahahaha.