Tuesday, December 21, 2010

something that upsets me

i like to consider myself a happy-go-lucky person. i don't really let all that much get to me. but if i were to choose ONE thing that upsets me...it would have to be...

stupidity

hahaha. seriously! i can't stand it. pure dumminess irritates the heck out of me. and i'm not talking lack of education stupid...i'm talking the "ignorant-i-can't-be-bothered" idiocracy. ESPECIALLY when it comes to my cultural background. this irritation has obviously become more apparent with the move to the mainland. i mean...i understand some people really don't know...so i don't hold it against them. they're not the ones i have problems with. its the ones that THINK they know, and try to correct me. seriously?! annoying. here's an example:

dummy (directed to a friend of mine): your daughter's gonna have to get a t.b. test for school.

friend: yeah...she did that already.

dummy: no...she's gonna have to get another one since she moved from another country.

friend: what do you mean...we just moved from hawai'i...

dummy: yeah...that's what i mean

friend: ummm...hawai'i IS part of this country. it's the 50th state.

dummy: no...it's not part of the REAL u.s. its a little island out there.

friend: no...hawai'i IS part of u.s.

dummy: no...you know the REAL u.s. hawai'i doesn't count.

IRRAZ!!!

dummy#2: do i need a passport to go to hawaii?

me: no.

dummy #2: are u sure?

me: positive.

dummy #2: sure? i just want to make sure i have the proper documents when i travel out there. don't i have to go through customs when i get there.

me: i'm 100% positive you don't need your passport. hawai'i is a part of the united states.

dummy #2: it is? are you sure?

me: yes ma'am. i'm sure. i'm from hawai'i. born and raised.

dummy #2: wow...you speak really well for someone from hawaii.

IRRAZ!!!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

for REAL! When I used to work at BYUH Bookstore, people have called and asked what currency we use and what the exchange rate was!

Tina said...

LOL, that is too funny! Too bad my husband had to triple check we didn't need a passport to go to Hawaii, LOL. His excuse was that he's only gone to Hawaii on the way to Samoa, so he's always needed a passport. hahaha, love it!

Feki Pouha said...

There's nothing like being from "overseas."

NeenaLove said...

when i lived in new mexico a lady asked me if i took the train to get there. ummmm.... NO!!!

in kansas, they have a postal counter inside the grocery store. i went to send a box home to hawai'i and the lady at the counter said they don't do international shipments. ummm... stupid!!!

lol... i feel your pain. :-) miss you tons!!

hine.T said...

Uilani, it sounds like they fit in your other dummy column (UNEDUCATED). OMG! Too much your dummy's! :)

Greg Dowden said...

Ui, which shell do you have to remind you of the day you met me? hahahahahaha

Line said...

bahahaha... STUPID! hahaha